The Village of Bayville has been staging many events beginning this past May, and continues until August to celebrate its Centennial Anniversary. The Block Party of this past Saturday was deemed to be a great success by all who attended. Ludlam Ave. was closed off from Bayville Ave. to just before First Ave. and tables were adorned with red, white, and blue tableclothes along with chairs were placed in the Bayville Commons parking area as well as on Ludlam Ave. There was a show mobile which allowed for music, the new Tappen Brewery (to officially open July 12th) offering beer tastings, Mill creek offered hot dogs, Bayville Meat Center offered their delicious fried chicken, the Oyster Bay Baymen offered delicious north shore clams, and Gooseberry offered cotton candy. There was also the opportunity to buy your rubber ducky for the Duck Race in August. Didn’t buy one? Over the Bridge on Ludlam Ave. is selling them for the committee. The main event was the appearance and performance of the Nassau County Police Dept. Emerald Society Pipe and Drum Corps.
Mayor Bob DeNatale was of course present, and was the person who welcomed everyone to the Block Party as well as introduced the local officials who came to congratulate the Village on its 100th birthday; Congressman Tom Suozzi, County Legislators Lafazan and DeRiggi-Whitton, all the judges, and all of the present Village Board members. Mayor DeNatale thanked the Centennial Committee for this hard work, as well as all the businesses and organizations who donated their time, talent and goods. Mayor DeNatale and the Board of Trustees then surprised everyone in announcing that through their action, Legislator Josh Lafazan was now an Honorary Citizen of Bayville since he spends so much time in Bayville. In 1658 Daniel Whitehead purchased the land that was to become Bayville, from the Matinecock Indians. The eastern portion was known as the Pines, the western portion, Oak Neck. In 1674 the land was divided among 23 men, who used it for pasture. The Bayville name was adopted in 1859.
Incorporated in 1919 during the Incorporated Village Government Movement which allowed many larger estate owners on Long Island to establish political control over their domains. The Village of Bayville was among the first to incorporate on the north shore. Total area of 1.5 square miles of which 1.4 square miles is land and 0.1 square miles or 3.42% is water. Its nickname was Pine Island. a Village located on Long Island Sound on one side facing Greenwich, Connecticut, beautiful Oyster Bay Harbor on the other. Village offices are located on the former Harrison Williams Estate (carriage house and servants quarters), part of a 23-acre gift to the Village from the Wall Street financier’s widow, Mona, after his death in 1953. The gift includes a wooded area named the Harrison Williams Woods. Besides the Village offices, the complex also houses, the Bayville Free Library, Water Dept., Scout Room, and the Bayville Historical Museum.